Flood Forecasting - Map

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) has more than 60 years of experience, and is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario, created to safeguard and enhance the health and well-being of watershed communities through the protection and restoration of the natural environment and the ecological services the environment provides. Dufferin County, Durham Region, Peel Region, Toronto and York Region.

Disclaimer – Read the Disclaimer…Before you go on. The information on the TRCA website does not constitute a regulatory flood plain map as formally approved by a qualified Professional Engineer and TRCA…You must read the Disclaimer scroll down you will see a disclaimer section below the map viewer and I also believe before you can use the map viewer you have to agree to the disclaimer. I highly recommend to call the TRCA Planning & Development Staff for your specific requirements. Use the Flood Plain Map as a guide only!

Flood Plain Map – Flood Plain Management is a fundamental objective of the TRCA which is achieved through policies that limit development within the flood plain. Knowing the extent of the flood plain is an important tool for land use planning and emergency management. The TRCA has developed a Flood Plain Map to help identify the regulated areas which are or have been susceptible to flooding. You can search the flood plain map with a specific address click Search Map. Make sure you scroll down the page.

Flood Plain Permits – There are special rules and regulations regarding development within TRCA’s regulation areas particularly within a flood regulated area. You may require a permit for building a deck, pool, building a new home, soil excavation and more please see TRCA’s Planning & Permits Section.

Flood Building Materials – I also found a document, Flood Damage Resistant Materials FEMA a US based Agency, which can provide examples of water resistant building materials. I could not find a Canadian document but water damage is water damage and many of the same building components are used here and across the border. This document may provide information on acceptable materials to use in a potential flood area, such as when finishing your basement. This is a guide only! I recommend to consult with a qualified specialist before you start any renovation/building project.

Flood Plain Map - Toronto

Flood Forecasting - Warning

Government of Ontario has a website with a flood map as well as list of Conservation Authorities within the Ontario Region which you can look for Information about your specific areas flood warning which is referred to as the Flood Forecasting and Warning Program, which prepares provincial and local authorities in the event of a flood. There are 2 types of Provincially flood messages (provincial flood watch and watershed) and 3 types of Locally flood messages (Flood Warning, Flood Watch and Condition Statement).

When you’re on the website scroll to the bottom of the web page for the definitions of the local and provincial flood messages. If you click on your specific region under the “Locally Issued Flood Message” column then you will go to the Conservation Authorities website with more information.

You can also view weather alerts on the Public Weather Alerts for Canada site, just click your specific region or territory.

Flood Forecast - Prepardness

Flood Insurance – Do you know if your covered?. Many Canadians don’t even know what coverage they have…do you? What type of flood damage are you covered for, optional sewer backup and/or overland flooding or just the typical coverage such as pipe burst and/or hot water tank bursts, if any? Have a look at this A-Guide-to-Residential-Water-Damage-and-Flood-Insurance by Insurance Bureau of Canada IBC for more info…then call your insurance company and find out what your covered for!

Gov’t Financial AssistanceDisaster Recovery Assistance Program Guidelines for Ontarians (ODRAP). Provides Ontarians with financial assistance after a natural disaster, like a flood. If the program becomes activated by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing in an area impacted after a flood then an affected homeowner can fill out an application for assistance where the disaster occurred. Applying for Disaster Recovery Assistance. Make sure you read the guidelines carefully there are caps on payouts.

Emergency Kits – They say you should have a 72 hr emergency kit which you can take with you in the event you have to leave your house. The Government of Canada also provides info on where to purchase a survival kit.